What are bio-identical hormones?
The term “bio-identical” indicates the chemical structure of the replacement hormone is identical to that of the hormone naturally found in the human body.
Synthetic hormones are not natural. Natural products cannot have a patent because they already exist. Drug companies developed synthetic hormones so they may patent them.
Goals of BHRT are to alleviate the symptoms caused by the natural decline in hormone production to improve your overall quality of life.
Is Hormone Replacement Right for You?
Common symptoms of hormone imbalance:
- Difficulty sleeping at night
- Hot flashes and/or night sweats
- Lack of energy or fatigue during the day
- Decreasing mental focus and memory
- Moodiness, anxiety, depression
- Weight gain, especially around the midsection
- Reduced sexual desire, performance, vaginal dryness
How are hormones delivered?
Hormones can be delivered in a number of ways. The key is finding the way that best fits you and your lifestyle.
- Creams – can combined multiple hormones into 1 cream for ease of use.
- Troches – Dissolves in the mouth. Can combine multiple hormones into 1 troche for ease of use.
- Pellets – are great for those one the run or who don’t want to worry about doing a daily medication.
- Injections – Testosterone injections are typically given weekly
Pills and patches are available in commercial forms.
It’s not just a guy thing.
There is new research looking at androgens, testosterone and DHEA use to alleviate menopauseal symptoms. Testosterone can help enhances libido, improve energy and increase mental alertness.
It’s not just a gal thing.
Estrogen helps alleviate hot flashes, night sweats, improve mood, improve energy, improve sleep, may improve memory and cognitive function, may reduce bone loss
Progesterone helps protect the uterus by “turning off” estrogen. Progesterone can help improve moods, sleep, migraines/headaches, and improve menstrual irregularities